If you have a Ricoh, Lanier or Savin multifunction printer, you’ve likely had one of the SC501-01 through SC504-01 error codes pop up on your device a time or two. This pesky code shuts down your device and stalls operation. While the code says to call service, that may not be necessary.
An end-user can typically resolve this service code with a simple repair. No need to call and wait for a service technician to repair the device. You can have your device up and running again in a matter of minutes!
What are SC501-01 through SC504-01 error codes?
SC501, SC502, SC503 and SC504 codes are tray related errors. SC501 is an error with tray 1, SC502 is an error with tray 2, and so on.
A device will typically shoot this error code because of 1 of 3 problems:
- The related tray is loaded incorrectly
- The tray is overloaded, meaning it is filled over the max fill line (or the paper in the tray is too heavy for the machine to lift)
- Paper is stuck behind the tray
Steps to resolve your service code
- Determine which tray the service code is referring to, for this example, the code is an SC501 error, so we will be working with tray 1.
- Pull tray 1 open. Check to see if the paper is filled above the max fill line. If yes, remove some paper so it is below the line.
- Tilt the tray up a little to remove it from the device.
- Check inside the device. Remove any paper stuck behind the tray.
- Put the tray back inside the device and close it.
- The code will still be on your screen. To remove it simply shut down the device by hitting the external power button.
- The machine will go through a shutdown process. Wait for the screen to go black and the light to shut off.
- Wait a moment and power the device back on.
- Now your service code is resolved!
If your code is still there, you can repeat the steps to make sure you didn’t miss anything, or place a service call to have a technician take a look at the machine.